Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Time For Some Responses!


Time to return some response to questions in our comment section. I'll start with the oldest first.

"I can see that you've made some alterations to that front piece, having worked with this pattern with a student in the past. It will certainly be more shapely and less boxy." from Summerset.
     Yes, this is a bit more shapely than the original Vogue Pattern 8975. Boxy styles don't work that well on me. I have also found a cure for my "drapery boobs." This is when the front of the garment hangs down straight from the bust apex and with a proportionally smaller waist it hangs out in front away from the torso. Not very flattering. So now I do an S-Curve adjustment. In the current Threads there is an article by Louise Cutting on how to change dart shapes to get this correction. Pam Ptak calls it and S-Curve and did an article in Threads some time back on it. It really makes my garments hang better and flatter more.

"That little sketch at the top, what book is that from?"  from Anon
     The sketch referred to showing how to cut out the CJ is from the book "Great Sewn Clothes" by Threads. It is in the first article in the book by Claire Schaeffer and is an excellent resource if you are contemplating making a CJ.

"Are you using an interlining as well?" from Lucy M
     No I am not interlining this jacket. FWIW I am not exactly following the directions in the Vogue pattern either. The jacket is boucle, silk charmeuse lining quilted on, and a woven fusible along the front edge and upper front shoulder. My shoulders cave in and with this soft construction I need that stabilization in the shoulder area.

"the cardigan jacket with a high neck is not the most flattering style for my large bust" from Nancy K.
     I am not doing the high collar, pretty as it is, choosing instead to use a simple edge to edge lined cardigan for my first effort. This required me to raise the neckline at CF blending to the shoulder seam.

"Do tell us which photo shows the best representation of the fabric’s colour combinations?" from Juliet in the UK.
     The last picture with the button is probably the most accurate as it was taken in natural light. Pics taken in my studio tend to have  a yellow caste to them. The fabric is from Banksville Fabrics in Connecticut and the fiber content is cotton/rayon.

I would like to thank everyone for the quick responses  regarding Blogger photo uploading. I don't think I am much different in that when a change is thrown at me by way of computer it is a steeper than normal learning curve. Now I've got it and yes , it is slower. Thanks again everyone .

In the pic above you can see my basket of weights. My Maine beach stones have been supplanted by these cool, smooth, heavy hunks of glass. Yesterday I decided to do some major cleaning in the back basement. There were boxes I never opened since we have moved into this house and did I find all sorts of neat things! I used to collect and put these pieces of glass in the windows at our previous home. They make awesome pattern weights and their sleek smoothness feels so nice in my hands.
Do you know what this is? If you lived in New Bedford, Fall River, or Lowell, Massachusetts I know you know. Here is a closer view of the inside.
....Bunny

12 comments:

  1. I suspected as much on the alterations; I can't wear boxy jackets, either. I use s-darts, too, converting princess seams to that shape as well. The Pam Ptak articles is the one I use - much more flattering if you've got a curvy shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah I shape the dart or under bust part of the seam the same way. Much more flattering.
    Hey, I am still using my Maine stones from a trip 23 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bunny, I will take a guess on 'what this is'. Is it some sort of needle, which you lever out, there's that hinge, I see. Can't tell the size, but would be used for heavy thread? I come from Australia - so haven't got a clue - just guessing. Ps. Thanks for all your information on CJ. Haven't attempted mine yet, but will soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bunny, is that a tool used for making fishing nets of some kind? Or for mending sails? Hm....I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Goosegirl. That's a shuttle for mending nets.

    ReplyDelete
  6. is it a shuttle for one of the many textile looms that were in the area or a shuttle for twine to make whaling nets????

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Bunny,

    I think its a shuttle; used in weaving. Think of a very large loom. I have a few of those around the house somewhere.

    Belinda

    ReplyDelete
  8. it looks like a shuttle for weaving. Very cool! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Could you give a little more detail on the S-Curve adjustment? I tried googling the S-Curve adjustment the Threads website.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Bunny,
    The photo is of a boat shuttle. Many years ago, I did some weaving and even have a small loom. The last big project I wove was a Tallit and bag for my son as a Bar Mitzvah gift. He is now thirty-seven years old.
    Gita

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Bunny Love the hat you are wearing in your profile picture..did you make it? By the by I agree with the rest it is a shuttle to repair something...Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a shuttle from a textile factory. My father was in textiles in Rhode Island and New Hampshire, and I have several of them. Bunny, I haven't commented before, but your sewing is an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...