Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, October 18, 2015

Felted fun!


I have been working on a bit of palate cleansing creativity since I finished the foil top. You know, just fun stuff. I ended up cleaning out a corner of my closet, the one holding my totes of felted fabric and this necklace above and a few other fun goodies were the result.
I never pass up a bright colored wool,no matter how it is being utilized. The wool used in the necklace above was a boiled wool jacket someone  gave me, circa 1982, and I just loved its vivid colors. However, it just wasn't boiled enough so I threw it in the hot washer, cold rinse and hot dryer and ended up with some very seriously felted fabric. All I could think of was rugs or shoe bottoms. But I couldn't throw those bright colors away and didn't. The "beads"  were made from layers of the felt glued together with the leather cord in between. Laminated wool beads? Two beads were at either end of the cord which was tied to the necklace cord, easy peasy. Shams, of Communing with Fabric was my enabler along with her wonderful video on fabric beaded necklaces. The felted beads were my own idea, inspired by a vague Pinterest memory. I look forward to making more of these soon. It was fun and easy and I got lots of positive feedback when I wore them. My college attending young workmate did tell me "oh, that's really cute. They look like sponges".  I'll take that as positive ;).

Once in a felt mood, and seeing all that I had in the totes, well, I was on a roll. Doesn't everyone need small little gifts around the holidays? The little gifts that show those who really make our lives easier that we do appreciate them and care. That's when the pincushion bug struck.

Cat food cans are perfect for these endeavors. And don't tell me not everyone needs a pin cushion. Everyone does. For those who don't sew or are of the guy type variety, fill the pincushion with safety pins. We all need safety pins and who goes out and buys one when they need one?

Digging a little deeper in the felt totes, I found some yardage and a cuff or two. A few rolls of the felted wool, this one much thinner, and voila - a stylized rose, sort of. But I think it works.


A paler pink felt and some black and white whipcord and another fun result. 


Time to put the totes full of felt away for another day. But I'm not done yet. I purchased some batik from the  local Joanns and gave Sham's bead necklace lesson a whirl. If you haven't seen it, this is a great video and so professionally done by one of our favorite bloggers. This necklace is not done yet. I am still making beads and playing with wire, but it's coming. Thanks, Shams, for your inspiration. You do inspire me a lot!

So these have  been fun little projects. I always love those tiny projects that still have the ability to excite. As much as making a tailored jacket makes my heart skip a beat or two, these little projects provide an occasional break from more serious sewing. I guess that's the good part. We can pick and choose what we want to sew, such a lucky thing.


This pretty print is a piece of linen, one of two, that will hopefully turn into one of two welted cushions for a window seat in a large bay window in DD's family room. I have two  pillows that will fill a 110 inch width, 18 inch depth. The fabric is rather thin, at least thinner than ideal for window seats and because of that the cushions will be lined with muslin. The window seat will never likely get sat in but it will be pretty when done. I will be meeting DD in about three weeks so this is priority in the studio. After that, I am good to go on other projects. Right now I am toying with a new bag, a Chanel cardigan, or even a new knee length coat. The spaghetti has all been tossed at the wall. We will see what sticks!....................Bunny

11 comments:

  1. You are so creative. That necklace is adorable and those pincushions are beautiful. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tomasa. Sometimes its just such fun to play with color and texture with no big end game.

      Delete
  2. Oh I so hear you. I'm developing kits right now for simplish craft ideas and it is the best fun! Today was advent calendars - I love m first attempt but can't wait for the second go when I iron out all the oppses. LOVE your necklaces, they remind me of licorice allsorts - do you have them in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know of a candy by that name but I have seen layered "gummy" candies. I like the idea of it candy better than sponges! Advent calendars would be such fun and clearly lots of work!

      Delete
  3. Hi Bunny,
    What fun you have had and of course everything looks beautifully executed, as always.
    Your necklace...............look up liquorice allsorts; a sweet here in the U.K. that's what your necklace reminds me of.............so great.
    Absolutely adore the pincushions; so beautiful and would look lovely in any sewing room.
    Thanks for making me smile this Monday morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am back to more serious sewing with those cushions. Laying out the fabric to take advantage of the print was a real challenge. Seriously, it took the entire day just to cut out two tops and two bottoms and the boxing. I have my fingers crossed that there will be enough welting.

      Delete
  4. I am copying your idea of the little square and circular "beads." Absolutely love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love those pincushions! Good luck with the cushions, I just made one for my sister's new Grandma rocking chair and I had to splice the welting, not real easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope I have enough fabric to make enough welting. I may have to piece. Fingers crossed.

      Delete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...