Sewing Vloggers

Monday, September 30, 2013

Chanel Jumper??? Simp 1723

 

Sophie's jumper, Simplicity  1723, is a done deal! I put a bit of extra effort into this child's garment but that boucle made me do it!

Pattern: Simplicity 1723, jumper, jacket, skirt and headband, all with a slight nod to Coco Chanel. Amazing how her classic designs filter down to children even all these years later. It was not difficult.It does not require a lining but I did one. I recommend. My grandaughter loves any sort of jumper or long top to wear with her tees and leggings. 

Fabric:   It is made with an acrylic and cotton boucle and I pray it doesn't pill. It hasn't yet so that bodes well. I have machine washed and dried all fabrics used so expect no probs other than a lack of desire to press clothing on the part of my daughter. She will  more than likely send it to the cleaners. That's her MO for anything not knit. 

The lining fabric is a 100% poly, a charmeuse wannabe. It was "springy" as many older polies are. It was given to me by a friend when she cleaned out her stash. 

I used a poly grosgrain ribbon for the belt and some little lace flowers picked up at Fabric Place in Mass. I found the garment a bit too serious for an eight year old and had to fun it up a bit. Sophie loves polka dots.

Construction: After my last positive experience I decided to flatline the jumper much as I did my crinkle jacket.  It took a lot of "pre-sewing" but once done the process of putting the jumper together whipped right along. The facings, hem, and waistline are bound with the same lining fabric. The boucle really needed the structure of the lining and bound seams to keep it from unravelling, something it wanted to do with a vengeance.

If I had to do it again I would not face the jumper with self fabric. I would use a thin lining instead. It is far too bulky in the button area for my taste but I will just move on from that observation. It won't bug anyone but me. I did not make real buttonholes and just stitched the straps shut with the buttons. The zipper is plenty long so I don't think Sophie will have a problem getting it on. I used an invisible zip and machined stitched the facing ends into the zip, no handwork.
Facings were understitched as much as possible and the edges bound with bias lining fabric. I used my clapper and tons of steam to get those edges as flat as I could.

As far as fit, I did have to alter the pattern. Sophie is very tall and slender so this was made in a size 8 with an inch added to the bodice and another to the skirt. I think dresses look cutest on little girls when the waistline is a bit elevated and this does that  on her. Her back waist measurement is 2 inches longer than the pattern measurements and I only added that one. 

All in all, this pattern is simple, cute and could be whipped right out if you don't  flatline, line or bind those seams. This would be great for the serger. But my fabric required the additional fuss. I must admit, it does feel lush and yummy in the way a Chanel jacket does. Maybe next time I would do an edge to edge lining as she did. I hope Sophie likes it. She did pick out the pattern and pink fabric.

********************************************************************************
I just have to comment that we have had the most incredible Indian Summer weather. It has been in the high seventies for days with clear blue skies and leaves on the trees flaming with color. Will winter want payback?......Bunny

ETA: Why does my text publish in different sizes when I don't change the size?I've notice this on only certain computers, not all. Are you seeing my text in different sizes, other than the headings? Thanks...Bunny

29 comments:

  1. Bunny - this is gorgeous and I'm sure Sophie will love it!

    As for the text it only appears to change on the first words - are they bolded? They would look different if they are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, those are bolded intentionally and larger. Maybe it is just my computer.
      Glad you like the jumper. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Darling jumper, I just love the fabric. I also love that you such a professional job on a child's garment. I'm sure her friend's moms will be terribly jealous :). I agree, I think I would not use the boucle fabric for the facings, but as you say, just move on from there.

    Your text is all one size except for the headings, no problems at all. I'm using Google Chrome on a Mac, if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Bunny bet she looks fab in it - yes your text is different in the para about fabric in addition to the bold headers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same shift in size on my IPad. It's delightful that you and your "client" are so in synch. Elle

      Delete
  4. I love it Bunny! It is such a classy jumper. Bravo to Sophie for her choices. The text is smaller in the fabric section on my end too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a special little number, Bunny...Sophie is going to just love it & will look so "sophisticated" in it. It has a grown up air to it but still age appropriate. I must remember to show Ms. C.

    The text under the heading "Fabric" is showing smaller than the rest for me. who the heck knows why? Mine was all over the place on my last post & I could NOT get it to correct...I gave up & posted it as it was.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely work, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great jumper. All that work shows. Your text does change size for me. (Mac Air using Safari)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just gorgeous and beautifully finished. She's going to look so cute in it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The dress is perfection. The font is fine on my computer. I use Chrome on my Windows notebook.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is really pretty and you are such a wonderful grandmother to do such involved sewing for her. Thanks for all the detail-I am considering flatlining a jacket. I'll need to read more before deciding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, the font sizes change in Firefox too but not much. The jumper just is to die for! It could be an heirloom she passes down to her own children. I imagine it hanging in a museum 100 years from now and people peering through a glass saying they had never seen lined children's clothes from that era!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right about that one, LOL! Maybe we should start collecting contemporary children's clothing that is not pink or purple, does not sparkle, and has no fake fur. We could call it "rare" and people would come to museums to see that it did exist at one time. Hmmmmm,,,,,,,,

      Delete
  12. Great job as usual. Love the ribbon belt. The jumper looks like a classic - could've been something I wore as a child. Maybe it can be passed on to a sister or cousin?

    I'm seeing smaller font size in the text under the Fabric heading, as others did. Using Safari browser on my MacBookPro.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bunny, it isn't your computer, I am seeing the same as the others.

    The jumper is scrumptious...berry cloud anyone? I'm sure it will go on just fine. I usually forgo the zipper and finish the strapswith buttonholes and buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bunny, it isn't your computer, I am seeing the same as the others.

    The jumper is scrumptious...berry cloud anyone? I'm sure it will go on just fine. I usually forgo the zipper and finish the strapswith buttonholes and buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, everyone for all your lovely comments. I think a denim shirt for moi may be next. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, the text under Fabric is larger on mine (using Google Chrome.) Also, all the items on the right side of all of Blogspot's blogs jump or wiggle on my laptop. It is only Blogspot and only on my laptop, not my P.C. I would imagine that's a problem with my laptop, though it doesn't happen on anything other than blogspot blogs. Computers are a mystery for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, and I meant to say that the dress is lovely and I wish my daughters were still young and living at home. I had so much fun making their clothes back in the day. It is always a joy watching how you construct the clothing for your grandchildren---in such a way that they are made to last. I read a lot of blogs and so much of children's clothing is made at a fast and furious pace, but not made with an eye to being durable. There are exceptions, of course, but yours are always stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, and I meant to say that the dress is lovely and I wish my daughters were still young and living at home. I had so much fun making their clothes back in the day. It is always a joy watching how you construct the clothing for your grandchildren---in such a way that they are made to last. I read a lot of blogs and so much of children's clothing is made at a fast and furious pace, but not made with an eye to being durable. There are exceptions, of course, but yours are always stellar.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yes, the text under Fabric is larger on mine (using Google Chrome.) Also, all the items on the right side of all of Blogspot's blogs jump or wiggle on my laptop. It is only Blogspot and only on my laptop, not my P.C. I would imagine that's a problem with my laptop, though it doesn't happen on anything other than blogspot blogs. Computers are a mystery for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  20. His is absolutely gorgeous. I follow you on bloglovin and just kind of lurk in the shadows but I decided to come out and comment on this beautiful dress. You did a wonderful job. Keep inspiring me.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Chiming in with praise for this adorable jumper -- I may need to make one for my own granddaughter.

    Here's a suggestion that may help you with the font size:

    1. Write your post in Word or a similar program
    2. Copy it (use select all in the top ribbon or manually highlight and click CTRL + V)
    3. RIGHT click in your blog body window. You should see an option that says Paste as plain text.This will put your text in the blog window but will strip away all formatting and use the default formatting of the blog.

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Make Money Online is very easy now, In Internet system we have now best earning system without any work, Just Invest some Money into your Business and Make Perfect Life time Earnings with this Business.
    Join Now for Make Perfect Business and Earn Money online from home.
    www.hotfxearnings.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Latest cars and vehicles, Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    WorldLatestVehicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...