Sewing Vloggers

Saturday, August 31, 2013

On Creativity and Taping

Two different subjects here, actually so first the creativity part:

I highly recommend this little book for any of you creators out there, whatever the medium. Kleon is a wise old soul in a young hip body and is so spot on with his insights into  the creative process. This isn't old stuff. He explains how the internet plays into the process, including blogs, forums, and more. But, there is much more on that and his viewpoints are inspirational and contemporary. I finished this in two short sittings and now can't wait to hit my studio. I found my copy from our library. Hope you give it a try.
*****************************************************

Back to the taping/digi-sewing discussion. It was wonderful and I appreciate all of your comments and viewpoints. All opinions were respectful and articulate. I really appreciate those who sold these patterns piping up in the convo as well. Thanks from all of you. 

Here are a few things I took away from the discussion:

Logistics:   Many dislike the download and tape phenomena particularly when there are many pages. The       pattern still needs to be traced on to tissue if motif placement is critical or adjustments for fit. And thanks to CTPat we now know that the PDF can be emailed to Office Max and printed out on large paper. Thanks for that info, CT. Also, there is a community spirit happening with many PDFs being offered with Sew Alongs. I like that.

Designers:  The No Fear attitude of freshmen sewists is admired but most would like them to get some more experience before they sell their wares on line. Some feel this will come in time as their skills mature. I hope so. IMO, poor directions, designs, and patterns will lead other newbie sewists to failure not pride. I think this will shake out to a one or two at the top who are not afraid of getting better at their craft. How about starting with ironing? My turn to be snarky (wink). 

On the other hand there are experienced pattern makers/designers using this medium whose work is wonderful. It never occurred to me that 99cent pattern sales didn't exist in other countries and I can see an absolute need for PDFs. I applaud these pros for their entrepreneurial spirit and am really glad they are able to provide this service to our off shore friends. Thanks so much for enlightening me on that and keep up the good work!

Thanks again to all of you for your enlightenment, articulate comments, and education. You are once again a priceless part of my day. Off to cut out a pattern...............Bunny

5 comments:

  1. Hi Bunny! i thought your post and the ensuing discussion was very illuminating and quite timely. I've been sewing 35 years, and have used the Big Four as well as indies on paper and also download and tape patterns.

    To me the main point is: before you commit your time and energy to any pattern, do your research on the designer and on the particular pattern. Colette's Sobetto top (free!) has become a TNT summer wardrobe workhorse, filling a big hole i had in my closet. I've sewed some jaw-droppingly amazing Vogue patterns in my time (i'm looking at you, Issey and Marcy) but oh have there been some stinkers! And with my bust and shoulders busting out, any pattern i make is a major tape-fest ;)

    Every pattern format has it's drawbacks, in tissues case including the hazardous attraction of rustling tissue for pouncing cats - once a playful puss has had it's way with a piece of tissue, it's all over!!!

    So take your time to evaluate the pattern online before you make the purchase. It's obvious that designers of lines like Sewing Cake and Disparate Disciplines are serious sewists and designers who put huge amounts of thought and effort into their work. Their Flickr pools and reviews of happy sempstresses reflect this and should give purchasers confidence (as well as an idea of the target audience and the appropriateness of the design for their individual style).

    Have fun sewing however you go about it!!! steph

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that you can get the PDF's printed at an Office Max. We have Office Works here which sounds like a similar type of shop. I know my daughters have done lots of printing there for uni projects. See we all learned something :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, when you have a PDF pattern printed at an office store all the pages are lined up and the pattern complete and you don't have to do any of that? That would be great, though it adds an additional expense to the pattern, and many of them are already quite pricey.

    I completely agree with the previous poster - check out the qualifications of the pattern seller. It will save you many hours of wasted time and/or disappointment on time wasted over a pattern that has been poorly drafted. Cute/trendy fabric does not make up for a poorly drafted pattern. If the pattern maker does not divulge her qualifications, then buyer beware.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice summary of the previous debate!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...