Sewing Vloggers

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Rose Sweater, # 1

This is the very earliest stages and much embellishment remains to be done. The heavy wool embroidery will balance the large blue collar when all is said and done. There will be less negative space. Big wooden buttons will line the front of the sweater. Texture, texture, texture!
The pallette has only begun to be used.

For the collar I tried a lot of options, all from sweaters I have accumulated and felted. The color  that worked best is a royal blue which you will get a more accurate idea of color on the close up. In the pictures it is just draped for effect and not cut to size yet. I used the collar from Simplicty 3562, View B. I wanted the collar to reach past the shoulder line and not be a deep V like the original. This collar fit the sweater just right and eliminated any drafting.  I thread traced the felted wool with the shape of the collar and then proceeded to do a cross hatch running stitch, using blue painter's tape to keep accuracy.
For the flowers, first I did some rough sketches based on no particular inspiration. I then sketched them on larger paper and did a rough outline in heavy black marker. I found that the thick marker line showed through the sweater. Then I slipped a piece of foam core inside the sweater. I pinned the sweater to the foam core to prevent movement. Then I slipped my magic marker sketches between the sweater and the foam core and started to paint. I used acrylics which will be heat set to make them permanent and washable, something I have done many times with success in later washing. I actually would have preferred oils but when I moved from my last home all my oils vanished in the move and I just haven't bothered to replace them. I do find oils give a clearer deeper effect but I am pleased with how this came out with the acrylics. I used a combo of dry brush and water color techniques. It is all very freestyle and fairly stylized and I like that. There are two patch pockets on the front and I painted across their edges. I also ran the paint into the inner pocket as well so that if your bent and the pocket wrinkled it would still match. I didn't want a demarcation line of paint across the top edge of the pocket.



Something else I did was open the sleeves. The sleeves are knit with finished edges on the seams and won't unravel. I painted them with the foam core inside as I did the bodice.

This is just the beginning so bear with me. This is a project that will speak to me to let me know when it is finished. I can't really tell you. I'll just know. In the meantime I will be adding more and more embellishment so stay tuned for the metamorphosis. Oh, FWIW, this was a PLAIN off white wool sweater...Bunny

12 comments:

  1. Bunny, your painting is truly lovely. This will be an exceptional piece -- such talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is there anything you can't do??? Lovely from the start, I can't wait to see how it progresses!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like those flowers! The sweater is going to be just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made a New Year resolution to say thank you to my favourite bloggers, because I seldom comment. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is just gorgeous the way it is - can't wait to see what else you're planning for it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just beautiful! I can't wait to see your progress on this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How will you heat set the paint? I suspect putting it in a hot dryer? I'll be interested to see how you decide to embroider. Oh, and maybe pop on some beads?

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! This is already gorgeous... can't wait to see it when it is all finished. Thank you for explaining how you are doing it along the way too.
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, Bunny, your talents never cease to amaze! Watching this develop is going to be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OK - disregard my post of tomorrow's responses...as I'm behind on my blog reading...lovely, lovely sweater and love the flowers and thanks for showing them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is going to be so wonderful! Looking forward to see your progress!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...