Sewing Vloggers

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Re-organized!



The past couple weeks have seen a lot of cutting and sewing as well as fabric purchases. With company coming, I figured I better clean this mess up and do some organizing. I did my usual as everything has its place around here, but I wanted to redo my "jelly cupboard". If you lived  pretty much anywhere in New England 20-30 years ago, I would bet you had some of that VERY dark Yield House pine furniture. You may have even had a jelly cupboard as they were pretty popular at the time. I always found this piece of furniture quite functional and it has been in bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens and basements. When we moved here it went to the basement as I was frankly finding that dark pine a bit embarassing. I missed my jelly cupboard. So when we built my studio, I redid it in a favorite green color with the cream inside, the better to show off its innards.

I like to use the door to hang fabric from so the new pashminas have taken residence. On top are "dish" of yarns and my prescious silk from Arab Street.  Inside on top, other than those blatantly blue bottom pieces of felt, are my hand dyed wools. I doubt I will ever cut them but I sure like to look at them. I dyed some, some I purchased. Shelf #2 has a big jar of my angelina and rovings, some jars of primary colored buttons and a picture of my gorgeous MOM who so encouraged me with my sewing as a child and then some. Next shelf has a vintage toy machine I picked up at a yard sale for a dollar. I couldn't put this away if I tried and underneath it are my first ever quilt and the fabric for my Chanel Jacket. Bottom shelf is the queue. These are my immediate projects and their patterns. I like looking at my jelly cupboard. I think now I will just call it my sewing cupboard.........Bunny

13 comments:

  1. Love the jelly cupboard! I enjoy repurposing furniture. I have a simple, really long table my father made to fit in an unusually-sized kitchen I had once. The kitchen had NO counter space so he made me a beautifully stained pine table. I've found a purpose for this table in every place I've ever lived. I generally use it for sewing now. Plenty of space to spread out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Jelly cupboard, and the memories of yield house. I have some corner cupboards that are now down in the basement that you have inspired me to repurpose.
    The toy sewing machine is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That little machine is so cute. I like the green with those colored walls. Did you know my sewing room has the same color paint?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your jelly cupboard looks great! I love the green! I am almost tempted to paint my pie safe a bright color. It desperately needs to be organized like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heart your cupboard! I'm green with envy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a kewl piece that is! And I love the picture of your mom ~ watching over you as you create. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great piece of furniture! I should really do some better organizing in my sewing room. So far the best that I have come up with is trying to convince my husband that we should swap out the queen sized bed for a twin...so I could have more room for machines!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's lovely. Perfect decoration for a sewing room, but not all your stash out and overwhelming. I am assuming that you have a nice stash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have that jelly cupboard! I assembled it, and remember when staining it with a mix of two shades of stain, I was almost hallucinating with the fumes, lol! It's still the same color, and now holds dvds. I love the color of yours, puts creative thoughts in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! Are you available for my studio!!!! I need this desperately! The pashminas look very at home in their spot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your room looks great and the colors are so lovely.

    I tried emailing you but maybe it didn't go through. Your magnifiers are ready for shipping, just need to know where to :))

    bjorumatmacdotcom

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that cute little sewing machine too! It looks really nice and the green color is perfect for it. I wish my sewing space were as organized as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh Bunny, I remember when you re-painted this with that wonderful sour apple green! It looks lovely with all your treasures stacked inside. I adore those pashminas!!

    Nothing like company coming for a visit to get us into the straightening mode, huh? LOL

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...