Sewing Vloggers

Thursday, July 2, 2009

What's Next?

I am on the home stretch with the sheer blouse. The sleeves are edged and gathered. Now I just need to install them with a bias binding. This binding is going to have to be very tiny to work on this sheer. I am trying to figure out if there is a different way to do this. Some thought is needed before I take the next step.

In the meantime I have been picking out and planning the next 3 projects. I am still not sure which I will start on first. The fabrics you see pictured are for a shaped yoke dress with a smocked front bodice from waist to yoke edge. This will be for Sophie. Her Mom picked out this fabric for me to make her something and a design has finally clicked. Looks like cranberries, doesn't it? I will be using a pattern from Gail Doane's new book, Sew Cute Couture. The green fabric is 100% double faced wool and will be for a coordinating jacket. I may felt it first. I also may felt other fibers in to it to be the background of my embroidery. This is a work still in design morph mode. The one thing I know is that the jacket will have lots of cast on flowers and maybe cast on bows.

The beige you see is a coordinating fabric I stumbled upon in a different store. I am not sure how or if I will use it. Still morphing, remember?

Project number two will be a smocked bishop and wool jacket for Carley. More on that later after I buy the plaid coordinate I have picked out.

And project number three is a blouse for myself with a high waist. I hope to have a smocked band around the waist. This will probably be the first of the three to get made. I am thinking a black oxford cloth. I like the bodice on the sheer blouse a lot so with a different sleeve that may end up being the pattern I use. I really want long or 3/4 sleeves on the blouse. ...Bunny

10 comments:

  1. Those projects sound so so appealing. Look forward to seeing how they go. Especially Sophie's outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Bunny,
    I can't wait to see more of these projects. Keep morphing

    ReplyDelete
  3. The band around the waist sounds really pretty.

    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty fabrics. You will make,as always, beautiful things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to know how do do felting. Perhaps you can do a tutorial on it if you decide to go that route on the jacket. I love the cranberry fabric. I wonder if you could make a French seam when you set in you sleeves? If you starch your fabric like you have on the hem, etc.. before sewing it should work. How gathered are the sleeves? Or I guess if you made a narrow bias binding out of some of the same fabric and starch it before sewing it would work. Or if you did it like a flat felled seam and just didn't sew it down that would work too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of the issues with the sleeves is that the armscye is SQUARE on the bottom. You can see this on the previous posts about the blouse. I do like the idea of the french seam. The sleeves aren't overly gathered due to the bias cut so that could work. Sample once again! Thanks for the ideas, Julia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cranberry fabric. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you "cast-on" a flower? I learn so much from you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cast on flowers remind me of knitting with your sewing needle. The thread is looped, twisted, and cast on to the needle, and then another and another, etc. Then the stips of teensy stitches is placed in the required shape. There will be lots more of this once I get going, which I hope will be soon. DH and I have Big work responsiblities till the 13th, but after that I should have much more free time. Thanks for asking, Sherrill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to see the blouse and your upcoming projects!

    ReplyDelete

Engaging commentary:

Had to Refurbish This One!

    About  6 or 7 years ago , during the dawn of the Zipper Trend,  I bought one of my rare retail items. It was a blush pink and black bord...